The five-bagger matched a personal high for the jockey, who turned 35 on New Year’s Day. He recorded five winners at Chicago’s Arlington Park on July 11, 1991, but it was first time he had won as many races with successive mounts.
Gomez’s perfect afternoon came to an end in the seventh race when Rush Rush finished a fast-closing but non-threatening third. His winners: first race, Roosevelt, $4.80; second, Christmas Stocking, $5.80; third, Friendly Island, $3; fourth, Sven Steps, $7.20, and sixth, Comoros, $19.40.
Eastern-based Rafael Bejarano won six races at Santa Anita April 8, 2006. Laffit Pincay Jr. holds the track record of seven victories, set March 14, 1987.
Gomez is the leading rider at Santa Anita’s current winter/spring meeting with 26 victories through 19 racing days. He holds a nine-win advantage over Victor Espinoza.
There is a Pick Six carryover of $162,699 into Sunday despite Gomez’s consistency, the eighth carryover of the Santa Anita meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts