Early nominations to the 133rd running of the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands and the Triple Crown will close at midnight on Jan. 20.
A fee of $600 is required to make a 3-year-old Thoroughbred eligible to compete in the $2 million guaranteed Kentucky Derby (gr. I) at Churchill Downs on May 5; the 132nd running of the $1 million guaranteed Preakness Stakes (gr. I) at Pimlico Race Course on May 19; and the 139th running of the $1 million guaranteed Belmont Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park on June 9.
Owners and trainers may nominate their horses by contacting Churchill Downs racing at (502) 636-4470, or by contacting the racing offices at the other host tracks. Horses may also be made eligible to participate in the three-race series by nominating online at www.thetriplecrownchallenge.com.
Horsemen will have another opportunity to nominate their horses in the late nomination period that closes on March 31. A $6,000 fee must accompany nominations to the Kentucky Derby and Triple Crown made during the late period.
Horses that were not made eligible by either nomination deadline may still be made supplemental entries to the Kentucky Derby, but that would require a fee of $200,000 paid at the time of entry.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap