James Conway’s Dash of Humor, winner of last month’s Furl Sail Handicap, shares top weight of 118 pounds as the 3-1 morning line favorite in the $75,000 Truly Bound Handicap Saturday at Fair Grounds Race Course.
The other high weight, Padua Stable’s Ballroom Deputy, a Canadian invader, is installed as the 7-2 second choice. The Truly Bound, for older fillies and mares, will be contested at 1 1/16 miles and has attracted field of eight.
In the Furl Sail, scheduled for turf but run on the main track at 1 1/16 miles, Dash of Humor was allowed to settle, challenged for command in the final furlong and was best by a head at the wire. Previously, the Hal Wiggins trainee had used similar tactics in optional claiming test at a mile on the turf at Churchill and won by 2 1/2 lengths. Brian Hernandez Jr., who guided Dash of Humor to the winner’s circle in the Furl Sail, gets the return call and will break the 7-year-old daughter of Distorted Humor from post No. 5.
Ballroom Deputy has not raced since finishing third by 1 1/2 lengths the $187,000 Maple Leaf Stakes at 10 furlongs over Woodbine’s Polytrack course Nov. 11. The 6-year-old mare won that race the year before when it was a grade III event on the dirt. Robby Albarado will break Ballroom Deputy from the outside.
Also to be contested as the undercard feature Saturday is the $75,000 Gentilly Stakes for 3-year-old Louisiana-breds at about 1 1/16 miles on the Stall-Wilson turf course.
Carl R. Moore Management LLC’s Power Surge, second when beaten a length and a half in the $100,000 Louisiana Champions Day Juvenile last month , is the 2-1 morning line choice in the Gentilly. The gelding, who will break from the rail, was runner-up in Retama’s $125,000 Texas Stallion Stakes in October. Jamie Theriot will ride.
$75,000 Truly Bound Handicap (Race 9, 4:22 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 4 & Up, 1 1/16 Miles
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight
1. Life's Great (KY), Jesse M. Campbell, 114
2. Aly's Vow (KY), Joseph Talamo, 114
3. Lady Pegasus (KY), Larry Melancon, 115
4. Delicate Dynamite (KY), Gerard Melancon, 114
5. Dash of Humor (KY), Brian J. Hernandez Jr., 118
6. Stormy Amber (FL), James Graham, 113
7. Eyes On Eddy (KY), Donnie J. Meche, 116
8. Ballroom Deputy (KY), Robby Albarado, 118
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Effort to Resolve Virginia Dates Fails Again
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Constitution to Make Stakes Debut in FL Derby
- Jockey Club 2014 Fact Book Posted Online
- Maryland-Based Owner Arnold Heft Dies at 94