Buyers from regional markets were active during Saturday’s session of Keeneland’s January Horses of All Ages Sale, contributing to strong growth for the day.
Keeneland sold 265 horses on Saturday for $3,714,200, up 34.9% over last year when 226 horses brought $2,753,000. The average of $14,016 was up 15.1% over the $12,181 posted in 2006, while the median price of $7,000 rose 40% over last year’s $5,000.
Through day six of the eight-day sale, Keeneland has sold 1,466 horses for $69,099,800, down 2.6% from 2006 when 1,443 horses sold for $70,927,100. Average price of $47,135 has dipped 4.1% from last year’s $49,153. The median of $20,000 remained unchanged from 2006.
“Today we saw strong support from our regional domestic markets. Buyers from Canada, Texas, and Oklahoma were very busy,” said Geoffrey Russell, Keeneland's director of sales . “Additionally, we continue to reap benefits from the emerging markets initiative we’ve developed in partnership with the Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders.”
Fabulous Finish, a 3-year-old Grand Slam filly, sold as a racing or broodmare prospect, brought the day’s highest price, a final bid of $175,000 from Omega Farm. Consigned by agent Warrendale Sales, the unraced Fabulous Finish is a half-sister to stakes winner Swingforthefences.
The January Sale continues through Monday. Sessions begin at 10 a.m. daily.
Hip-by-Hip Results from Keeneland
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity