Frankel, with 857 wins through Thursday, trailed Whittingham’s 869.
Both of his contenders are coming off impressive allowance victories and are seeking a first stakes win. Cantabria, an English-bred daughter of Dansili, won her U.S. debut by 4 ¼ lengths on Hollywood Park’s Cushion Track on Dec. 6. Sugar Shake captured a one-mile race by nearly three lengths at Churchill Downs Nov. 17.
A field of six is entered in the El Encino, the second leg of the prestigious La Canada series for 4-year-old fillies of 2007.
Wonder Lady Anne L, winner of the Coaching Club America Oaks (gr. I) on a muddy Belmont track last July, is a major contender for Santa Anita’s leading rider, Garrett Gomez. Wonder Lady Anne L is a daughter of 1998 Kentucky Derby winner Real Quiet trained by Richard Dutrow Jr.
Preciousness, recently purchased by owner J. Paul Reddam, comes in from Houston and Remington Park, where the daughter of Exchange Rate won her last three races by a combined margin of nearly 24 lengths.
$150,000 El Encino Stakes (gr. II, Race 8, 4:07 p.m.), 4-Year-Old Fillies, 1 1/16 Miles
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Preciousness (FL), 115, Corey S. Nakatani
2. Wonder Lady Anne L (KY), 119, Garrett K. Gomez
3. Kris' Sis (KY), 117, Victor Espinoza
4. Sugar Shake (KY), David R. Flores
5. Cross (KY), 117, Jon K. Court
6. Cantabria (GB), 115, Richard Migliore
Most Popular Stories
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards