Swiss Diva extended her unbeaten record to three on Friday when overwhelming her opposition with a 8 1⁄2-length triumph in Santa Anita’s $138,750 California Breeders Champion Stakes for 2-year-old fillies.
It was the first stakes victory for the chestnut daughter of Swiss Yodeler who covered the seven-furlong distance in 1:23.10 after taking command turning for home and steadily drawing away with Agapito Delgadillo in the saddle.
Prenuptial rallied under Victor Espinoza to finish second in the field of eight California breds while Pokomoke, with David Flores aboard, checked in third another half-length back.
The second choice in the wagering, Swiss Diva paid $7, $4.20, and $3.20. The mutuels on Prenuptial were $7.60 and $5.80, with Pokomoke returning $5 to show.
Trained by Paddy Gallagher and ridden in each of her three starts by Delgadillo, Swiss Diva had won her first two races by 3 1⁄2 and 2 3⁄4 lengths. Despite being bred by a highly successful sire of precocious youngsters, she was sent off at odds of 30-1 in her racing debut last Oct. 21 at Santa Anita.
She was the second choice behind 2-1 favorite Double Major on Friday, and the pair raced in tandem through much of the early running with Swiss Diva outside of her rival. Double Major, ridden by Corey Nakatani, simply gave way on the far turn and faded to fourth.
The winner earned $83,250 for owners Rick and Sharon Waller to increase her career figure to $111,810.
(Chart, <a href="http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbChartResultsDisplay.cfm?TRK=SA&CY=USA&DATE=12/29/2006&STYLE=EQB#RACE8"target=_blank">Equibase</a>)
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award