Barbaro, winner of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), was examined Dec. 19 by Dr. Scott Morrison, head of the equine podiatry service at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky., who did some minor work on Barbaro's left hind foot.
"Barbaro is stable and comfortable although we remain concerned about the long term management of his left hind foot," said Dr. Dean W. Richardson, chief of surgery at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa., where Barbaro has been treated since breaking down in the Preakness (gr. I) last May.
According to Barbaro's medical team, Morrison also made recommendations concerning the management of the foot. "There is no timetable at this moment concerning Barbaro's discharge from the hospital," said Richardson. "His comfort on both hind limbs is good and his overall condition is excellent." There has been no timetable established for Barbaro's potential release from the hospital, Richardson said.
Most Popular Stories
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- City Wolf Joins Roster at Pleasant Acres
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says