Barbaro, winner of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), was examined Dec. 19 by Dr. Scott Morrison, head of the equine podiatry service at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky., who did some minor work on Barbaro's left hind foot.
"Barbaro is stable and comfortable although we remain concerned about the long term management of his left hind foot," said Dr. Dean W. Richardson, chief of surgery at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa., where Barbaro has been treated since breaking down in the Preakness (gr. I) last May.
According to Barbaro's medical team, Morrison also made recommendations concerning the management of the foot. "There is no timetable at this moment concerning Barbaro's discharge from the hospital," said Richardson. "His comfort on both hind limbs is good and his overall condition is excellent." There has been no timetable established for Barbaro's potential release from the hospital, Richardson said.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity