All horses trained by Mike Mitchell will run out of the detention barn for a period of 45 days that begins with those entered for Dec. 17, Hollywood Park announced, after a horse under his care exceeded the permitted total carbon dioxide level.Dynout ran second for Mitchell in the 6th race at Hollywood Park on Nov. 19.Mitchell horses entered to run will be required to be housed in the holding barn for a 24-hour period before the race. The detention period ends Jan. 30. Mitchell's stable may be subject to special surveillance for an additional 15 days. It is the second TCO2 violation in less than 18 months for Mitchell, who will also be subject to regulatory action by the California Horse Racing Board.TC02 is the total carbon dioxide in plasma from a blood sample obtained pre-race. The samples are analyzed post-race at the Maddy Laboratory at the University of California at Davis. A TC02 level of 37mml/l or higher exceeds the permitted level of TC02.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- KHRC Drug Tests: Turfway Meet 'Cleanest'
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55
- KY House Speaker: Gambling Amendment Dead