Trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, Somethinaboutlaura scored by four lengths over Royal Kleven in 1:41.90 and paid $2.80 to win.
"Coming out of the first turn she wanted to go after the leader (Breeze Along)," said Baze. "I took a hold and she relaxed a bit. At the three-eighths pole, I let her go after that horse and she had no trouble reeling her in.
"I saw how far in front she was, so I let her ease up the last part of it," continued Baze. "She really doesn't feel like she's going that fast, so I was surprised when I saw the time. She's just a really nice filly."
The Autumn Leaves is the third straight stakes triumph for Somethinaboutlaura, who entered the race off wins in the California Cup Matron at Santa Anita and the Pacific Heights Handicap at Golden Gate Fields.
Somethinaboutlaura, a California-bred daughter of Dance Floor, earned her 10th victory in 19 career starts and Saturday's payday of $39,475 boosted her earnings to $540,460. Hollendorfer, Charles Miller, John Sikura, and George Todaro own the 4-year-old filly in partnership.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- OwnerView to Host October Ownership Seminar
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- OH Panel to New Track: No Tellers, No Permit
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Close to VLT Agreements