Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale surpassed last year's sale gross on Monday, when totals for the eight days of selling reached $290,807,400. Gross sales for the 14-day auction in 2005 totaled $289,602,900, third-highest in the sale's 62-year history. The sale's record gross of $317,666,000 came in 1999."We are very happy to establish such a mark with six more days yet to go," said Geoffrey Russell, Keeneland's director of sales. "Today there was a strong presence of South American and South Korean buyers. The middle market just continues to roll on."Keeneland has sold a total of 1,921 horses for an average of $151,383 and a median of $75,000. The gross, average and median are up 6%, 5.3%, and 25%t, respectively. During the corresponding period last year, 1,908 horses had been sold for $274,392,400, for an average of $143,812, and a median of $60,000.
During Monday's session, Keeneland sold 257 horses for $10,178,700, a 24.4% increase from a year ago when 276 horses brought $8,180,700. Average price for the day of $39,606 rose 33.6% over last year's comparable session average of $29,640. The median price of $30,000 was up 42.9% over the $21,000 posted in 2005.
Ron Gilbert, as agent for C.R. Trout and Reata Thoroughbred Farm, signed the ticket for the session topper, paying $200,000 for the unraced mare Dreamingatdaybreak, in foal to Successful Appeal . By Grand Slam out of stakes winner Far Flying, Dreamingatdaybreak is from the family of champion Sacahuista and graded stakes winner Geri. The mare was consigned by Craig and Holly Bandoroff's Denali Stud, agent for Crystal Springs Farm Dispersal.
Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale runs through Sunday, Nov. 19, with sessions begin at 10:00 a.m. each day.
Most Popular Stories
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- Ramsey Farm 2013 - Ken Ramsey Interview
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk