Barbaro's lower right hind leg had been in a cast since surgery at Penn's George D. Widener Hospital following his accident at the Preakness (gr. I) on May 20, two weeks after he won the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) in impressive fashion."He had a perfect pool recovery and immediately stood; he walked easily back to his stall," said Richardson. "He used all of his legs quite well."
Barbaro's left hind foot, which had laminitis, was also fully evaluated while he was under anesthesia. "There are no signs of new problems with that foot, but the hoof needs several more months of growth before we will know how much foot structure and function will be recovered," said Richardson.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- NH House Rejects Expanded Gaming Bill Again
- Woodbine Announces 2014 Stakes Schedule
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Effort to Resolve Virginia Dates Fails Again
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta