Phipps Stable millionaire and multiple grade I winner Good Reward has been retired and will stand at Three Chimneys Farm in 2007. The horse is to arrive at Three Chimneys on Nov. 4, according to Ogden M. Phipps and Robert N. Clay, who made the announcement Nov. 3."We have syndicated the horse and Good Reward will stand for $15,000 guaranteed live foal, payable September 1," Clay announced.
Good Reward (by Storm Cat, out of the champion Heavenly Prize, by Seeking the Gold) won the Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) at 3 and the Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) at Belmont at 4. This year as a 5-year-old he was second to Lava Man in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) on the dirt at Del Mar. He is the only son of Storm Cat to win grade I races in both New York and California.
"Like Giant's Causeway, Storm Cat's best son at stud to date, our horse excelled in grade I races on dirt and turf," said Phipps. "That's one of the reasons we're retaining an interest in him. We think Good Reward has outstanding sire potential.""Good Reward was on the board in 21 of 26 starts, ran at 14 different tracks and made more than double the average number of starts by progeny of Storm Cat ," pointed out Clay. "He was sound, game and versatile. His dam won eight grade I races and was the champion 3-year-old filly, as was his fourth dam. Trained by Claude R. (Shug) McGaughey III, Good Reward retires with earnings of $1,087,687. His full brother, Pure Prize, is the third leading freshman sire by number of stakes winners (behind Johannesburg and Officer). Pure Prize is the sire of ten winners and five stakes performers, including three stakes winners, from 67 foals in his initial crop.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap
- Penn National Plans to Race 200 Days in 2014
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity