Magna Entertainment Corp., announced Oct. 12 that Golden Gate Fields will install the Tapeta Footings, a synthetic racing surface on its main racetrack. "I wanted to have the best racing surface available to ensure the health of both horse and rider," said Frank Stronach, chairman and interim chief executive officer of MEC. "We looked at a number of different options available to us and are very pleased with our selection of Tapeta." The California Horse Racing Board mandated that effecive Jan. 1, 2008 Thoroughbred racing facilities in California must install a polymer synthetic type racing surface."This is another example of MEC's commitment to California racing" stated Ron Charles, president of MEC California. In addition to Golden Gate Fields, in California MEC is the owner of Santa Anita Park in Arcadia and San Luis Rey Downs Training Center in Bonsall.Tapeta is designed for performance, safety and consistency in all weather conditions. Construction is scheduled to begin in May of 2007.Golden Gate Fields is located on approximately 154 acres of land in the cities of Albany and Berkeley, Calif. Golden Gate Fields' facilities currently include a one-mile dirt track and a 7/8-mile turf course and stalls for more than 1,350 horses.
Most Popular Stories
- Chasing Landaluce
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Tattersalls Ends Year With Soaring Figures