North America's premier miler Aragorn heads a cast of eight in the $250,000 Oak Tree Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IIT) at Oak Tree at Santa Anita Park Saturday.
Aragorn has become a model of consistency since joining trainer Neil Drysdale's stable late last summer. The Irish-bred import has won or placed in each of his seven starts with dominant victories in the last three: Hollywood Park's Shoemaker Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), Del Mar's Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT) and the Del Mar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT).
The 4-year-old son of Giant's Causeway
, owned and bred by Ireland's Ballygallon Stud Ltd., set a course record in winning the 1 1/8-mile Eddie Read.
Nakatani rides the colt named for a character in "Lord of the Rings" who figures to be an overwhelming favorite in the Oak Tree Mile. Three of the past seven winners of the Oak Tree event have prevailed in the Breeders' Cup Mile. Singletary, last year's winner, took the previous year's championship competition.$250,000 Oak Tree Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IIT, Race 3, 1:30 p.m.), 3 & Up (Turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Courtnall (KY), 119, Patrick A. Valenzuela
2. Wild Buddy (FL), 119, Jon K. Court
3. Aragorn (IRE), 123, Corey S. Nakatani
4. Apalachee Tiger (FL), 119, Martin A. Pedroza
5. Buckland Manor (KY), 119, Jose Valdivia, Jr.
6. That's an Outrage (KY), 119, Tyler Baze
7. Lord Admiral (PA), 119, Alex O. Solis
8. Salty Humor (KY), 119, Aaron T. Gryder