Average daily handle for the Emerald Downs' meet that ended Oct. 1 was virtually unchanged over the previous year, the Auburn, Wash. track has reported.The average daily handle of $1,382,996 was augmented by out-of-state wagering that was up 10%, according to a news release. Daily average purses for the 90-day meet were up 3.16%."We're pleased in the light of current trends to have held our own this year," said track president Ron Crockett. "We set a record for average daily purses in the state and, by all indications, seem to have another positive year in on-track attendance."Flamethrowintexan earned both Horse of the Meeting and Top Older Horse honors. The 5-year-old son of Way West, conditioned by state Hall of Fame trainer Jim Penney, won the 71st running of the $250,000 Longacres Mile (gr. III) and the $100,000 Mt. Rainier Breeders' Cup en route to setting a new Emerald Downs' single-season earning record of $226,750.Jockey Ricky Frazier earned the Top Riding Achievement award for winning eight stakes in the meeting. Frazier also won his second riding title with 88 victories, and was the top jockey by earnings with $1,207,045.Frank Lucarelli won his third training title with 54 wins. Lucrarelli rallied from a 10-race win deficit on July 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Chasing Landaluce
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Tattersalls Ends Year With Soaring Figures
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?