Ol Memorial Stable's Buffalo Man, winner of both his starts at Monmouth Park this season, will be one of the choices in Monday's $150,000 Sapling Stakes (gr. III).
The 2-year-old son of El Prado broke his maiden by more than four lengths July 20 and then took an allowance sprint with a nice off-the-pace move Aug. 17.
Trainer Cam Gambolati thinks the colt is developing nicely and, as developer of Spend a Buck, champion 3-year-old and Horse of the Year 1985, he should know.
"He's thriving right now," Gambolati said. "He loves to train hard. He's doing everything I ask of him right now."
Buffalo Man, out of the Saratoga Six mare Perfect Six, is an Ontario-bred. Gambolati bought him for $190,000 out of the Adena Springs Sale of 2-Year-Olds.
"He's had two good races," the trainer said. "Now it's time for him to move up to another level. He'll meet better horses in the stakes, and we'll see how he does.
"Actually," Gambolati said, "I think he'll be better when he stretches out. The farther they go, the better he'll like it."
Eddie Castro will ride Buffalo Man in this 73rd running of the Sapling, which is Monmouth's final graded stakes of the 2006 season.$150,000 Sapling Stakes (gr. III, Race 10, 5:23 p.m.), 2-Year-Olds, 6 Furlongs
PP. Horse, Jockey
1. Buffalo Man (ON), Eddie Castro
2. First Cavalry (KY), Jose Lezcano
3. Air Lord (FL), Christopher DeCarlo
4. Datrick (TX), Shaun Bridgmohan
5. Xchanger (FL), Joe Bravo
6. Actin Good (FL), Jose Velez, Jr.
7. King Barney (TX), Edwin King, Jr.
Each assigned 121 pounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Chad Brown Fillies Vie for Florida Oaks
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome