Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Barbaro continues to be stable Friday after another comfortable night, according to chief of surgery Dean Richardson. His right hind leg cast was changed late Wednesday. "We took new radiographs, and they look good," said Richardson. "No problems were evident." In addition, the modified foot cast on Barbaro's left hind foot, which has laminitis, is changed daily so the foot can be treated and watched for signs of infection.
"Barbaro has a strong appetite, and he has been enjoying handpicked grass and 'healthy snacks' daily," said Dr. Richardson.
Barbaro remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the University of Pennsylvania's George D. Widener Hospital.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Penn National Plans to Race 200 Days in 2014