Santa Anita Derby Update: Cal-Bred Cherokee Kim May Go
Updated: Friday, March 30, 2001 3:18 PM
From Santa Anita Park
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 8:38 PM
Cherokee Kim, winner of a 1 1/8-mile maiden special weight on turf March 10, is a possible starter in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby on April 7. A California-bred by Cherokee Colony, Cherokee Kim has a 1-1-0 record from three starts and has earned $53,020 for Wenga Enterprises Inc.
Trainer Jerry Fanning said the stretch running colt would run in either the Santa Anita Derby or the Illinois Derby. Both races are on Saturday, April 7, and one or the other will be used as a steppingstone to the restricted, $250,000 Snow Chief Stakes on April 28.
"The Santa Anita Derby is tough, but we might take a shot if we can finish in the money," Fanning said.
Fanning has had six Santa Anita Derby starters. He won the 1970 running with Terlago and finished fifth with Desert Wine in 1983. Desert Wine went on to finish second in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes.
In other Santa Anita Derby developments:
- Dean Greenman sent out I Love Silver for a five-furlong breeze in :59.40 Monday. I Love Silver represents Greenman's first Santa Anita Derby starter. "It means a lot to me," said Greenman. "Of course, it will be a lot more meaningful if we win. Nobody much really cares who finishes second." I Love Silver is scheduled to finalize Derby preparations with a work Sunday.
- Palmeiro worked seven furlongs in 1:25.80 Monday for John Sadler. "He's on schedule," said Sadler, choosing his words carefully. "I don't like to say much, we really haven't done much yet, finishing second a couple of times. The win is the thing; if we win, then you won't be able to shut me up."
- Derby possible Macabe made a strong run from the back of the pack to finish second in Sunday's seventh-race sprint down the hillside turf course. "The horse on the lead shook loose and we gave (Macabe) too much to do. But he finished with interest and that's what we were looking for. Lewis went on to say that, "I'm weighing my options," in regards to a Derby run.
- Jamaican Rum worked an easy five panels in 1:04.40 for Jim Cassidy Monday morning, then left with Cassidy foreman Jesse Cerrillo for Oaklawn Park Tuesday in advance of a possible Arkansas Derby start. "They had a great flight; they left at 4 p.m. and arrived on the grounds at Oaklawn at 7:40 p.m.," said Cassidy.
- A special "Derby Triple," encompassing the Derbies at Sportsman's Park, Lone Star Park and Santa Anita, will be offered on Santa Anita Derby Day.
Probable to the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby, with jockeys: Point Given, Gary Stevens; Crafty C.T., Eddie Delahoussaye; Palmeiro, Kent Desormeaux; Scorpion, Victor Espinoza; Startac, Alex Solis; I Love Silver, Laffit Pincay Jr., and Cherokee Kim, no rider. Possibles include: Early Flyer, Macabe, and So Urgent.
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!