Don Amos, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Magna Entertainment Corp. announced Tuesday that Bill Murphy has been appointed vice president and general manager of racing operations at Gulfstream Park. Murphy will also continue to oversee operations at Thistledown Race Course in Ohio as the meets do not conflict.
Murphy has been vice president and general manager of Thistledown since 1997 and is well known for his passion for the sport of horseracing. Murphy's first experience was that of a hot walker and groom, which eventually evolved into being named the youngest track superintendent at Hialeah Park in 1979.He also served as assistant to the chairman of the Board at Hialeah Park. He moved on to Detroit Race Course as director of operations, as well as serving as a project manager for the Ocala Jockey Club during its construction. Earlier in his career, Murphy worked on the track crew at Washington Park and on the starting gate crew at Balmoral Park.
Most Popular Stories
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale Posts Increases
- Multi-Breed Drug Uniformity No Easy Task
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- New Buyers Drive Up Sales at Arqana
- Charles Town Gets Dates But Awaits Contract