Better Talk Now's last race was a head victory in the CompUSA/Toshbia Dixie (gr. IIT) at Pimlico on Preakness Day. He rallied from last to first in the Dixie, a tactic he has used to many successes including last year's United Nations.
Both Better Talk Now and Shake the Bank race in the colors of Brushwood Racing Partners. Shake the Bank, a 6-year-old gelding, sports three wins in 29 starts, good for $138,724 in earnings, while Better Talk Now, a 7-year-old gelding, has a record of 12 wins from 33 starts and a bankroll of $2,772,077.
"Better Talk Now might even be better this year than he was last," said Motion. "He's learned to relax a little bit better and that should only help in this race and other races coming up.
English Channel, trained by Todd Pletcher, edged Cacique in the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT) at Churchill Downs on Kentucky Derby Day before running a close fourth in the 1 1/4-mile Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) at Belmont Park one month ago. The Bobby Frankel-trained Cacique held off the charging Relaxed Gesture by a nose to win the Manhattan in a blanket finish. Christophe Clement conditions Relaxed GestureThe successful stayer Silverfoot won the 1 3/8-mile Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill lawn for the third consecutive year May 29, defeating U.N. rival Ramazutti by a neck.
The United Nations was inaugurated at Atlantic City Race Course in 1953 before shifting north to Monmouth Park in 1999. This year's 53rd running will be the first over the new Monmouth turf course, which was installed over the off-season between 2005 and 2006 at a cost of $4.5 million.$750,000 United Nations Stakes (gr. IT, Race 9, 4:52 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 3/8 Miles (Turf)
Monmouth Park - July 8th, 2006 - Race 9
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. English Channel (KY), 122, John R. Velazquez
2. Silverfoot (KY), 118, Mark Guidry
3. Relaxed Gesture (IRE), 118, Kent J. Desormeaux
4. Better Talk Now (KY), 120, Ramon A. Dominguez
5. Cacique (IRE), 122, Edgar S. Prado
6. Shake the Bank (KY), 118, Tom G. Turner
7. Ramazutti (MD), 118, Christopher P. DeCarlo
Most Popular Stories
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Exit Stage Left Stays Unbeaten in Gold Rush
- Hong Kong Runners May Have Trouble This Year
- Nevada Kid Rolls in Claiming Crown Jewel
- Hedge Skimmer Valiant Girl Shocks My Charmer
- Mucho Macho Man Returns to Gulfstream Tab