Plenty of Options in Early Times Mint Julep
My Typhoon, a $2.9 million weanling purchase who won the Mrs. Revere (gr. II) over the Churchill Downs turf last fall, returns to the course as the 5-2 morning line favorite for the $100,000-added Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. III) Saturday. The 1 1/16-mile grass test drew a field of 12 fillies and mares and shapes up as potentially the most competitive of the six races on the Stephen Foster program.My Typhoon, the 4-year-old daughter of Giant's Causeway out of Urban Sea, the 1993 winner of the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I), is a half-sister to dual European classic winner Galileo. She finished third to Ozone Bere after pressing the pace in her 2006 debut in the Gallorette (gr. III) at Pimlico last month.Robby Albarado will ride Live Oak Plantation's My Typhoon for trainer Bill Mott, who has won more stakes races than any trainer in the history of Churchill Downs. My Typhoon has a career record of 4-2-2 in 10 races and has earned $417,339.Glen Hill Farm's Rich in Spirit won the 2005 Regret as a 3-year-old on the Churchill turf course one year ago for trainer Tom Proctor. Rich in Spirit, a daughter of Repriced, enters the Early Times Mint Julep off an easy 3 ¼-length victory on the Churchill turf to improve her career record to 5-3-1 in 13 races with earnings of $365,802. Mark Guidry will ride Rich in Spirit, who is the 3-1 second choice in the morning line.Joseph Allen's Louve Royale (4-1), who overcame a slow pace to win the 1 ½-mile Top Corsage overnight handicap for trainer Patrick Biancone and jockey Julien Leparoux. Sky High Flyer (6-1), an Irish import that won her first U.S. race for trainer Bobby Frankel over the turf at Churchill Downs. $100,000 Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. IIIT, Race 11, 6:42 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 1/16 Miles (Turf)
Date Posted: 6/15/2006 12:36:59 AM
Last Updated: 6/17/2006 12:57:49 PM
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Ella Belle (KY), 114, Willie Martinez
2. Where's Bailey (KY), 114, Jose Valdivia, Jr.
3. Beaugeste (KY), 113, John McKee
4. Sky High Flyer (GB), 113, Rafael Bejarano
5. My Typhoon (IRE), 119, Robby Albarado
6. Island Escape (KY), 113, Jesus L. Castanon
7. Rich in Spirit (FL), 118, Mark Guidry
8. Louve Royale (IRE), 117, Julien R. Leparoux
9. Anegada (KY), 115, Brice Blanc
10. Solid Platinum (KY), 113, Brian J. Hernandez, Jr.
11. More Than Promised (KY), 116, Shaun Bridgmohan
12. Special Grayce (KY), 114, Calvin H. Borel
Copyright © 2014 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.