Irgun defeated eventual Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Go for Gin in the Wood Memorial and also won the Gotham Stakes (gr. II) earlier that year. He did not compete in the Kentucky Derby because of a bruised foot, which later became abscessed, and a fever.
Out of the unraced Secretariat mare Late From Lunch, Irgun retired with three wins from five starts and earnings of $476,975. He entered stud in 1997 at Walmac International near Lexington and relocated to Three Way Farm at the end of 2003. Irgun is the sire of five stakes winners: Irguns Angel, Brief Embrace, Gal on the Go, Ruffena, and Bravura. Irguns Angel was his best runner, capturing the 2002 A Gleam Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Constitution to Make Stakes Debut in FL Derby
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- New Standards May Be Imposed on NY Stewards