Irgun defeated eventual Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Go for Gin in the Wood Memorial and also won the Gotham Stakes (gr. II) earlier that year. He did not compete in the Kentucky Derby because of a bruised foot, which later became abscessed, and a fever.
Out of the unraced Secretariat mare Late From Lunch, Irgun retired with three wins from five starts and earnings of $476,975. He entered stud in 1997 at Walmac International near Lexington and relocated to Three Way Farm at the end of 2003. Irgun is the sire of five stakes winners: Irguns Angel, Brief Embrace, Gal on the Go, Ruffena, and Bravura. Irguns Angel was his best runner, capturing the 2002 A Gleam Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Test in Hong Kong
- House Subcommittee to Discuss Internet Gaming
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Horizontal Navigation: Breeding Tab
- Wagering Up More Than 4% in November
- Second Quarantined Barn at Parx Cleared
- Thomason Elected to Horse Council Board