The first of the Rock of Gibraltar yearlings to sell for the big dollars was a three-quarter sister to proven group winner and grade I performer Aqua D'Amore. Sydney horsewoman Gai Waterhouse secured the filly for what she described as "a great value price.""I thought she was very immature when I saw her in January," Waterhouse said. "But since then she has really done well."
"Aqua D'Amore also ran a close second in the group I BMW and is a multiple group winner. So, taking all of that into account, I thought she was great value."The dust hadn't long settled on Waterhouse's sale topping purchase when another of Sydney's powerful trainers paid Aust$260,000 for a colt by Rock of Gibraltar.Anthony Cummings, son of the legendary trainer Bart Cummings, also felt his purchase presented great value. The colt is a half-brother to the group I winner Baraka, who who like this colt is a graduate of the Gold Coast ring."He's a very good type," Cummings reported. "He's very strong and has great depth to the shoulder and he's got a good pedigree. I was keen all year to buy a Rock (of Gibraltar) and he's been the best value I have seen all year. He's easily the best in the (Coolmore Stud) draft."
The colt will be raced in similar interests as star stable performer, the group I winner Hotel Grand.
YEARLING SALE STATISTICS
(2005 in brackets)
Lots Sold: 433 (262)
Sale Aggregate: Aus$12,193,200 ($7,245,250)
Average Price: $28,160 ($27,654)
Top Price: $260,000 ($480,000)
Lots Withdrawn: 121 (49)
Lots Passed: 155 (71)
Lots Catalogued: 709 (382)
Sold %: 73.64 (79)
Most Popular Stories
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru