Two of the Meadowlands' special turf racing programs on three Mondays in June will have veteran race caller Dave Johnson at the microphone.Johnson will call the races on June 5 and June 12. Ken Warkentin will announce on June 19. Post time for each program is 1:10 p.m. ET.
Johnson, who has called thousands of races over 40 years, is a fan of turf racing.
"From an announcer's point of view, turf racing has the greatest finishes," said Johnson, who has called races at the Meadowlands since 1977. "It seems as if they are all stalking one another until the turn for home, and then it is a furious charge to the wire.
Johnson is the current voice of the Triple Crown races for Westwood 1 Radio. The three grass programs were scheduled at the Meadowlands during reconstruction of the turf course at Monmouth Park, which is preparing for the 2007 Breeders' Cup. The Monmouth Park turf course is expected to be ready by the end of June.
All entries will be handled through the Monmouth Park race office and horses will ship into the Meadowlands on race morning.
Most Popular Stories
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- Half Ours Filly Tops Evangeline 2YO Sale
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals
- NYRA May Lose Skorton as Chairman
- Mucho Macho Man Florida's Horse of the Year
- Haskin's One for the Roses: Honor Code