As trainer Julio Canani fidgeted, Charmo breezed four furlongs in :49 4/5 on turf Thursday under regular rider Martin Pedroza, the final step in the colt's preparations for Monday's $300,000 Shoemaker Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park."This horse doesn't need much," said the bearded Canani. "He just ran 28 days ago."Pedroza dismounted and added, "I was very pleased. We're on target."Charmo, a 5-year-old French-bred horse, joined the Canani barn last September as a maiden winless in 16 starts in France, although third in a Group III stake.Canani reversed the fortunes of Charmo, sending him to the winner's circle in four of six United States starts, the most recent his first stakes victory in the San Francisco Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. IIT) at Golden Gate Fields on April 29.David Milch, for whom Canani won the 2001 Breeders' Cup Mile with Val Royal, owns Charmo.A field of seven is probable for the Shoemaker: Charmo (Pedroza), Aragorn (Corey Nakatani), Diamond Green (Alex Solis), Milk It Mick (David Flores), Silent Name (Victor Espinoza), Terroplane (Jose Valdivia, Jr.) and Willow O Wisp (David Cohen).Terroplane also worked on turf, covering five furlongs in 1:01 4/5 for the Neil Drysdale stable, while Diamond Green drilled four furlongs on the main track in :48 4/5 for the Bobby Frankel barn.Chinese Dragon became a Shoemaker defection from the Bob Hess Jr. stable because of an ankle injury.
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet