About 40 news cases were reported in the United Kingdom on Wednesday.The Guardian reported that the first apparently healthy animals were to be destroyed. There already have been over 420,000 infected animals destroyed. The paper reported 1,300 animals were taken to be destroyed based on the fact they were within two miles of an infected farm. The farm was located at Dornock, near Annan, Dumfries, and Galloway.The Dutch government has decided to vaccinate thousands of animals in an attempt to keep the disease from spreading. Other European Union countries have discussed the vaccination option, but rejected it. The Guardian reports an emergency meeting of the EU's veterinary committee will be held on Friday.In Holland, approximately 17,000 animals in the closest proximity to the outbreak will be destroyed. Animals in the next outlying zone will be vaccinated, then once the disease is under control, will also be destroyed. Senior British veterinarians who believe the policy of killing infected animals will not control the spread of the disease are asking for the same vaccination process to be used in England.
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet