The last member of the 20-horse cast for Saturday's $2 million Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) arrived on the scene at Churchill Downs on Thursday afternoon.Lael Stable's unbeaten Showing Up, winner of the Coolmore Lexington (gr. II) at Keeneland, stepped off a van onto the Churchill grounds at 4:45 p.m. (EDT). Earlier in the day, Showing Up had boarded a flight from New York, where he had been training at Belmont Park.The Barclay Tagg-trained son of Strategic Mission is getting acquainted with new surroundings in Barn 48, the same barn that housed Sackatoga Stable's Funny Cide when Tagg saddled that New York-bred gelding to win the Kentucky Derby in 2003. Showing Up has won all three of his career starts and joins stablemate Barbaro, winner of the Florida Derby (gr. I), among unbeaten horses in the field for the 132nd renewal of the Kentucky Derby. Barbaro, a son of Dynaformer, is perfect in five races for Lael Stables. If both horses start on Saturday, Lael Stables will be the first owner to start two unbeaten horses in a single renewal of the famed "Run for the Roses."Showing Up will break from post six in Saturday's Kentucky Derby and will be ridden by jockey Cornelio Velasquez. He is listed at odds of 20-1 on the morning line.
Most Popular Stories
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Rise Up Scores for Late Sire Rockport Harbor
- Turfway Cancels Card Because of Weather
- Silver Returns to New York Racing Association
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce
- Equine Sector Helps Boost KY Ag Receipts