"The way the race is shaping up was the deciding factor," he said of the Derby. "We just think there will be a lot of speed in the race. He'll fly to Kentucky Tuesday."Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze, his regular rider, will get the Derby assignment. Baze also was aboard for the workout over a cuppy racetrack."I tried to make him work a little more the whole way to make sure there was plenty of air in him," Baze said. The fractions were :24 2/5, :48 2/5 and 1:00 2/5.Baze has had only one Derby start, finishing 14th in 1996 aboard Semoran.
"It's still two weeks away, anything can happen," Baze said. "I've been awful close before and didn't get there. We'll wait and see. But right now, it's a 'go.'"Hollendorfer has had only one prior Derby starter, Eye of the Tiger, who finished fifth in 2003. Two potential Derby starters – Event of the Year in 1998 and Globalize in 2000 – were injured at Churchill Downs in the final days before the race.
Most Popular Stories
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Test in Hong Kong
- Horizontal Navigation: Breeding Tab
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown