Brother Derek, the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner and favorite for the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) on May 6, is being represented by a public relations firm to help trainer Dan Hendricks and his staff manage the unprecedented demands of the media on their first trip to the Run for the Roses."We've hired J.J. Graci of Elite Thoroughbred Consultants, who handled PR for Afleet Alex last year," Hendricks said. "He'll act as intermediary between me and the press and Elite will take care of marketing and anything else that might come about."As for Brother Derek, the California-bred son of Benchmark continues on an unfettered path to the 132nd Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs."He's doing good," Hendricks said. "I just took him back to the track today for the first time since his race. I mapped out a light work schedule where he'll work twice here before he ships on the 25th and works once at Churchill. We'll take as many of our crew from here as we need and want, but we can't go overboard. We still have a barn to run here. It seems like we have a good, fresh horse ready to put into the rigors of the spring classics."Hendricks said he was unconcerned about such as post position and track condition at Churchill Downs."He could probably overcome a bad draw," Hendricks said, "although you'd hate to be taxed right away. Ideally, posts eight through 14 would be good."
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Conquest Titan, Vinceremos Loom in Tampa Bay