Snow Forces Cancellation of Aqueduct Racing Wednesday

Live racing was cancelled at Aqueduct after the third race Wednesday, as a sudden snow storm earlier in the day left the main track conditions sloppy. It was the fourth cancellation of the year, the last coming March 2.

The decision to cancel was also made with consideration to the start of the Pick 6 in race four. On Wednesday, there was a Pick 6 carryover of $205,721.

"NYRA management and jockeys made a joint decision," said New York Racing Association senior vice president Bill Nader. "The jockeys had high expectations that they would not be able to get through the card. With the carryover of more than $200,000, we thought it was in everyone's best interest to stop at this point."

The announcement of the cancellation was made at approximately 2:26 p.m. Patrons were given until 3 p.m. to claim a three-part rain check, good for free admission, program, and parking. Aqueduct re-opened at 3:05 p.m. to accommodate simulcast players, who were granted free admission.

Racing will resume on Thursday, with a first-race post of 1 p.m.

Most Popular Stories