The son of Holy Bull is still on track for the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). "They call it the 'thumps' because the horses body actually thumps a little bit when they are suffering from it," said trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. "It was hot yesterday, and usually the 'thumps' are caused by heat and/or dehydration in the horse's body. "There are various things you can do, such as an addition of calcium in the horse's diet to prevent a recurrence of the condition, so as of right now, we're still pointing toward the Kentucky Derby."The horse came out of the race sound as he always was. But he ran a sub-par race and we may have found a legitimate excuse for that performance. He got in behind horses yesterday, and he may have gotten a little more kickback (dirt in the face) than he was used to, and that could have exacerbated the situation."At the Michael Matz stable, everything was well with Florida Derby winner Barbaro."Everything is great today," said Matz' stable foreman Ed Madden, "and it was great before the race. This horse is just one great individual. He ate up last night, ate up great this morning, and did his 'thing' (his morning exercise routine) in the round pen this morning. We're all looking forward (to the Kentucky Derby) now."
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points
- Chasing Landaluce