Saint Liam, who clinched his Horse of the Year campaign with a solid victory in the Breeders' Cup Classic - Powered by Dodge (gr. I) at Belmont Park, led the list of 2005 award winners announced March 15 by the New York Turf Writers' Association.Owned by William Warren and trained by Richard Dutrow Jr., Saint Liam also won the Woodward (gr. I) over the Belmont track and was narrowly defeated in the Whitney (gr. I) at Saratoga. In addition to his exploits on the New York circuit, he also won the Stephen Foster (gr. I) at Churchill Downs and the Donn Handicap (gr. I) at Gulfstream Park.
Other 2005 NYTWA award winners are:
-- Cash Is King Stable and Robert Lewis, co-winners of the Alfred G. Vanderbilt Award as the persons who did most for racing;
-- Jerry Bailey, the C.V. Whitney Achievement Award;
-- Edgar Prado, the Fourstardave Award;
-- Jim Gluckson, the Red Smith "Good Guy" Award;
-- Todd Pletcher, the Woody Stephens Award;
-- John Velazquez, the Eddie Arcaro Award;
-- Tracy Farmer, the Big Apple Award;
-- And the Phipps Stable, the Ogden Phipps Award and the Paul Mellon Award.All will be honored at the 83rd annual New York Turf Writers' Awards Dinner and Dance Aug. 20 at the Gideon Putnam Hotel in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- NYRA Budget Passes, But Not Without Debate
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet
- Online Stallion Season Auction Set for Iowa