Cayenne Red set a track record for 5 1/2 furlongs at Turfway Park Friday night in winning the 10th race in 1:04.46, breaking the previous record of 1:04.72 set on Dec. 30, which also belonged to Cayenne Red.
Sent off at 6-5 and carrying a $40,000 tag, Cayenne Red led gate to wire to win the optional claiming race. Jason Lumpkins was aboard for the gelding's record-breaking sprint.
A 5-year-old Ohio-bred by Cat's Career out of Willann, Cayenne Red is owned by Kendall Hansen and has been trained for his last three starts by Grant Hofmans. From 24 career starts, he has a 13-4-3 record and earnings of $197,409. In four starts at Turfway, all on Polytrack, he has three wins and one third.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win