Hollendorfer said Cause to Believe's strong mental makeup has had a lot to do with his success.
"Nothing bothers him," said Hollendorfer. "He has an easy temperament. He doesn't let things get him upset."
Cause to Believe has five wins and three seconds in eight career starts and $280,565 in earnings. A Kentucky-bred colt by Maria's Mon, Cause to Believe has won four stakes.
Hollendorfer, who saddled Eye of the Tiger to a fifth-place finish in the 2003 Kentucky Derby (gr. I), will also start Passive Income in the 1 1/16-mile California Derby. The trainer has tabbed Russell Baze to ride Cause to Believe and Chad Schvaneveldt has the call on Passive Income. Passive Income has just one win in five starts. However, he is coming off a good second to Point Determined in a mile allowance race at Golden Gate Fields that was contested on a wet-fast racetrack Feb. 17. George Todaro owns Passive Income. Stronach Stables' homebred Racketeer takes another step for trainer Bobby Frankel. The maiden-winning son of Awesome Again ran third in a first-level allowance race at six furlongs Feb. 12 at Santa Anita. He broke his maiden a month prior to that. Victor Espinoza travels north for the mount, replacing Patrick Valenzuela
Trainer Bob Baffert sends out both Sinister Minister, a son of Old Trieste, and B. Wayne Hughes' Sky Diving, an Aptitude colt.Sky Diving, to be ridden by David Flores, is coming off a second-place finish, beaten by one length as the 3-5 favorite in the Turf Paradise Derby. The $310,000 colt broke his maiden by 14 lengths at Bay Meadows prior to that.Sinister Minister broke his maiden against $62,500 claiming horses by eight lengths Jan. 20 at Santa Anita, then ran sixth in the seven-furlong San Vicente (gr. II) Feb. 12. Martin Garcia rides.
$100,000 California Derby (Race 8, 4:15p.m.), 3-year-olds, 1 1/16 miles
PP. Horse, Jockey
1. Sinister Minister (KY), Martin Garcia
2. Sky Diving (KY), David Flores
3. Passive Income (KY), Chad Schvaneveldt
4. Racketeer (KY), Victor Espinoza
5. Cause to Believe (KY), Russell Baze
6. Pop Icon (MD), Pablo Morales
7. The Five J's (FL), Chance Rollins
Each horse assigned 121 pounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- Digging Deeper into BC Lasix Study
- Brown Enters Pleuven, Request in Dania Beach
- Rice Plots Spots for Palace; Gravesend Next
- Bill Strauss Elected to Serve on TOC Board
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY