Trainer Bob Baffert will take the wraps off Breeders' Cup runner-up Point Given when he sends out The Thoroughbred Corp.'s colt for his first effort as a 3-year-old in Saturday's grade II San Felipe Stakes at 1 1/16 miles. "We've just been waiting, he's got a long road ahead of him," said Baffert in reference to the trail leading to Kentucky in early May.Point Given finalized San Felipe preparations by breezing four furlongs in :47.80 Wednesday. The Kentucky-bred by Thunder Gulch has finished first or second in all six career starts, winning three, for earnings of $618,500, but is untested since winning the Grade I Hollywood Futurity Dec. 16.If Point Given passes Saturday's exam, the Derby trail resumes in earnest April 7 in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby.D. Wayne Lukas will take a shot at the probable favorite with Gold Trader, who won the Golden State Mile on a wet-fast Golden Gate Fields surface Feb. 10 in his last start"It will be a good test for him," said Lukas assistant Randy Bradshaw. "Point Given will be tough to beat." Gold Trader worked six furlongs in 1:11.80 Sunday.The San Felipe Stakes will be shown live on Fox Sports Net Saturday at 3:30 p.m. In other San Felipe developments:
--Wild And Wise, nominated to the San Felipe by Baffert, worked four furlongs Tuesday in :49.20.
--Silvertongue Fox drilled four furlongs in :46.60, also for Baffert.Probable to the San Felipe Stakes, with jockeys: I Love Silver, Eddie Delahoussaye; Jamaican Rum, Alex Solis; Skip to the Stone, Corey Nakatani; Gold Trader, David Flores, and Point Given, Gary Stevens. Possibles include: Wild And Wise, no rider, and Silvertongue Fox, no rider.
Most Popular Stories
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick
- Trainer Chuck Treece Collects 1,000th Win
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Apprentice Boulanger Guides in First Winner
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- WV Racing, Breeding Take 10% Revenue Hit
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity