Garrett Gomez and agent Jim Pegram have parted company, the agent revealed Friday morning."I got fired last night," said Pegram, who booked business for Gomez for the past 18 months. "I was shocked and hurt. That would be the best way to express my feelings. I don't have a new rider in mind. I'm just going to sort things out right now."The 34-year-old Gomez, a native of Tucson, was second in the Santa Anita standings through Thursday with 36 wins.
Gomez was named winner of the Shoemaker Award as outstanding rider on last year's Breeders' Cup program when he won the NetJets Mile (gr. IT) aboard Artie Schiller and the Bessemer Trust Juvenile (gr. I) on Stevie Wonderboy. He is expected to be represented by Bob Meldahl. Gomez said Friday that a final decision has not been made. Meldahl currently is agent for Corey Nakatani.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity