Field, at 3-1, Tops First Derby Future Pool
Updated: Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:28 PM
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:10 PM
Racing fans across North America made the field a solid favorite over individual stars First Samurai and Stevie Wonderboy in the first 2006 Kentucky Derby Future Wager as betting drew to a close on Sunday evening.
The mutuel field, which includes all 3-year-old Thoroughbreds other than the 23 individual horses offered as wagering interests in the pool, closed as the 3-1 favorite in Pool 1. "All others" has been the favorite in the Derby Future bet's opening pool each year since wager was introduced in 1999.
A surge in the pool's final minutes on Champagne (gr. I) and Hopeful (gr. I) winner First Samurai pushed the Frank Brothers-trained colt past Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner Stevie Wonderboy, who was named last week as the 2-year-old champion of 2005, to take honors as second choice in the pool. First Samurai closed at odds of 7-1, while Stevie Wonderboy was an 8-1 risk.
A successful $2 wager on the mutuel field would return $8 when the 132nd Kentucky Derby is run on Saturday, May 6. A victory by First Samurai would return $17.80, while a winning future bet ticket on Stevie Wonderboy would be worth $18.40.
Other individual horses that attracted strong support in opening KDFW pool of 2006 included Belmont Futurity (gr. I) and Kentucky Jockey Club (gr. II) winner Private Vow, who closed at odds of 14-1. Remsen (gr. II) winner Bluegrass Cat stood at odds of 15-1, while Hollywood Futurity (gr. I) winner Brother Derek, who handed Stevie Wonderboy his only career defeat in the San Rafael (gr. II) earlier this month, closed at 16-1.
Pool 2 of the Kentucky Derby Future Wager is scheduled for March 2-5 and the year's third and final pool is set for April 6-9. The Kentucky Derby is May 6.Kentucky Derby Future Odds – Pool 1 (Final)No. Horse/Odds ($2 payout)
1. A.P. Warrior/31-1 ($64.40)
2. Achilles of Troy/26-1 ($54.40)
3. Barbaro/19-1 ($40.20)
4. Barbican/18-1 ($38.80)
5. Blazing Rate/99-1 ($204.60)
6. Bluegrass Cat/15-1 ($33.40)
7. Bob and John/31-1 ($65.40)
8. Brother Derek/16-1 ($35.00)
9. Cause to Believe/59-1 ($120.60)
10. Doctor Decherd/68-1 ($139.20)
11. First Samurai/7-1 ($17.80)
12. Flashy Bull/45-1 ($92.80)
13. Half Ours/33-1 ($68.20)
14. Henny Hughes/27-1 ($57.40)
15. High Cotton/62-1 ($127.20)
16. Itsallboutthechase/48-1 ($98.40)
17. Keyed Entry/53-1 ($109.60)
18. Lawyer Ron/21-1 ($44.00)
19. Point Determined/18-1 ($39.80)
20. Private Vow/14-1 ($30.60)
21. Sorcerer's Stone/45-1 ($93.00)
22. Stevie Wonderboy/8-1 ($18.40)
23. Your Tent Or Mine/21-1 ($45.80)
24. All Other 3YO's/3-1 ($8.00) Total: $552,627
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!