Frisco Star, then 2, established a new standard for 5 1/2 furlongs at Santa Rosa when he won his maiden start by 8 1/2 lengths in 1:01.65. The previous record of 1:02.20 had held for 23 years.
Frisco Star is a stablemate of the champion sprinter Lost in the Fog in the Greg Gilchrist barn. A Florida-bred colt by More Than Ready , Frisco Star cost Aleo $175,000, which is $35,000 more than he paid for his Eclipse winner.
Frisco Star is running in a six-furlong allowance/optional claiming race for 3-year-olds. Among Frisco Star's opponents is the promising gelding Barber, who ran second in the Mill Valley Stakes behind El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) hopeful Cause to Believe. Frisco Star's race is the first event on an eight-race program.
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- New Standards May be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- Taptowne Draws Rail in Well-Matched Razorback
- U.A.E. to Supply Horses for Chinese Race Day