Apprentice Martin Garcia, who trails perennial champion Russell Baze by one win (23-22) at the current Bay Meadows meeting, has been given a pair of riding suspensions that will cause him to miss eight days of action.
The board of stewards gave Garcia a three-day suspension for his ride on Royal Bull in last Sunday's sixth race, and a five-day benching for his effort on Half A Dollar Maid in Wednesday's fifth race.
Garcia was cited for "failure to make a proper effort to maintain a straight course in the stretch and causing interference" aboard Royal Bull, who finished third but was disqualified and placed fifth. The newcomer was also penalized for "crossing over without sufficient clearance down the backstretch and causing interference" with Half a Dollar Maid, who was disqualified from third and placed seventh.
Garcia is to serve the suspensions Jan. 19-22 and Jan. 25-28, meaning he will miss eight of the final 14 days of the meeting, which concludes Feb. 5.
Most Popular Stories
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu Stakes
- Cyber Secret Sets Turfway Mark in Stakes Win
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Eluisve Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double