Darrell Vienna plans to enter Southern California newcomers Atlando and Don Incauto in Sunday's San Gabriel Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita Park. The San Gabriel is scheduled for 1 1/8 miles on turf.
Gary Tanaka owns Atlando, a 4-year-old Irish-bred gelding who won the Knickerbocker Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Belmont Park on Oct. 30 when he was just off the plane from Europe."Mr. Tanaka called me and asked me if I had room for him," Vienna said. "He's constantly improving. He's coming up to the race in very good shape."
Atlando worked five furlongs on Santa Anita's firm turf course Wednesday in 1:01 4/5.
Vienna's other starter in the San Gabriel would be the Argentine-bred Don Incauto, a 4-year-old gray son of Roy who has a 4-1-4 record from nine starts in his native country. Don Incauto has not raced since last March 12.
"He got shipping fever coming over and was very, very sick, so he's been a long time getting ready," Vienna said. "This race is probably a little short for him but he's doing well."
Probable for the 59th running of the San Gabriel: Atlando, Martin Pedroza, 116; Badge of Silver, Pat Valenzuela, 118; Burning Sun, Garrett Gomez, 115; Choctaw Nation, Victor Espinoza, 116; Don Incauto, David Flores, 117; Hendrix, Corey Nakatani, 114; Rhythm Mad, Alex Solis, 117; and Toasted, Jose Valdivia Jr., 117.
Choctaw Nation, who would be making his first start on grass for trainer Jeff Mullins after 13 races on the main track, breezed five furlongs on the turf Wednesday in 1:01 under Espinoza.
Toasted worked six furlongs on turf in 1:15 2/5 for Laura de Seroux.
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Storms Eye and Europe to Bearfoot Farms
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- Brown Enters Pleuven, Request in Dania Beach
- Rice Plots Spots for Palace; Gravesend Next