Horizon Stable's 6-year-old millionaire Meteor Storm bids for his first victory since the 2004 Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) when he faces a full field in Saturday's $200,000 W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Calder turf course.
Jockey Javier Castellano rides the British-bred Meteor Storm, who makes his first start since finishing second in Woodbine's Canadian International (Can-I) Oct. 23 for trainer Wally Dollase.
The McKnight attracted 16 older horses with only 12 to start. Meteor Storm, who carries top weight of 118 pounds, has been competitive in North America's best races for the turf division for the last two seasons, but has lost nine in a row since the biggest win in his career in the Manhattan at Belmont Park in June 2004. In his two starts before that win, he swept the San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT) and San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita.
Gary Tanaka's 6-year-old Brazilian-bred Pellegrino ships in from California with Shaun Bridgmohan getting the call for trainer Donald Burke. He earned his grade I credential capturing the Hollywood Turf Cup late last year.
The deep field for the McKnight also includes Trillium Stable's 5-year-old Dreadnaught, who invaded from Maryland late last year to win the McKnight for trainer Tommy Voss. Despite winning the Laurel Turf Cup in his last start, the Lac Ouimet gelding will not likely be among the favorites under Jean Luc Samyn.
Two solid contenders are Live Oak Plantation's 7-year-old Revved Up, Brice Blanc aboard, and Stephanie Clark's 5-year-old Silverfoot, with Rafael Bejarano riding.
Revved Up is a highly consistent campaigner that has finished one-two in his last seven starts for trainer Christophe Clement and won the Bonnie Heath Turf Cup over the course here last month.
Silverfoot makes his first start since a respectable sixth-place finish in the Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) at Belmont when European-trained runners took the first four places. Trained by Dallas Stewart, the roan/gray gelding was an easy winner of the Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. IIIT) at Kentucky Downs in his previous start.$200,000 W. L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT, Race 11, 4:44 p.m.), 3 & up, 1 1/2 miles (turf)
1. Rousing Victory (KY), 115, Edgar Prado
2. Scooter Roach (IL), 114, Joe Bravo
3. Pellegrino (BRZ), 115, Shaun Bridgmohan
4. Franklin's Tower (KY), 113, Christopher DeCarlo
5. Request for Parole (KY), 114, Eddie Castro
6. Demeteor (KY), 114, Jorge Chavez
7. Dreadnaught (KY), 116, Jean-Luc Samyn
8. Revved Up (FL), 117, Brice Blanc
9. Noble Masterpiece (KY), 114, David Flores
10. Silverfoot (KY), 117, Rafael Bejarano
11. Meteor Storm (GB), 118, Javier Castellano
12. Wild Buddy (FL), 115, Corey NakataniAlso Eligible
13. Go Deputy (KY), 113, Christopher DeCarlo
14. Ramazutti (MD), 112, Manoel Cruz
15. Rumor Has It (KY), 112, Manoel Cruz
16. Supervisor (FL), 112, Aurelio Toribio, Jr.