Jockey John Velazquez attained the highest mark in yearly purses ever won by a North American-based jockey with his third-place finish aboard India in the $105,200 Valley Stream Stakes Sunday at Aqueduct. Through Nov. 20, last year's Eclipse Award-winning jockey has $23,356,456 in purse earnings.
Velazquez's six mounts at Aqueduct produced total purse earnings of $39,078, including $10,792 from India in his final ride of the afternoon. Velazquez started the day $37,582 off Jerry Bailey's purse-earnings mark of $23,354,960 set in 2003.
India's trainer, Todd Pletcher, picked up $70,077 in purses from his seven starters today, but remains more than $300,000 shy of Bobby Frankel's single-season record of $19,143,289. Through November 20, Pletcher is the North American money-leading trainer with $18,831,426 in stable earnings for 2005.
Velazquez's earnings include a victory in the $6 million Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) aboard Roses In May in March.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts