Jockey John Velazquez attained the highest mark in yearly purses ever won by a North American-based jockey with his third-place finish aboard India in the $105,200 Valley Stream Stakes Sunday at Aqueduct. Through Nov. 20, last year's Eclipse Award-winning jockey has $23,356,456 in purse earnings.
Velazquez's six mounts at Aqueduct produced total purse earnings of $39,078, including $10,792 from India in his final ride of the afternoon. Velazquez started the day $37,582 off Jerry Bailey's purse-earnings mark of $23,354,960 set in 2003.
India's trainer, Todd Pletcher, picked up $70,077 in purses from his seven starters today, but remains more than $300,000 shy of Bobby Frankel's single-season record of $19,143,289. Through November 20, Pletcher is the North American money-leading trainer with $18,831,426 in stable earnings for 2005.
Velazquez's earnings include a victory in the $6 million Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) aboard Roses In May in March.
Most Popular Stories
- Ramsey Farm 2013 - Ken Ramsey Interview
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk