McCann's Mojave will attempt to carry his speed further than ever before when the 5-year-old runs in Sunday's $250,000 California Cup Classic presented by Smith Barney, the closing day feature presented by the Oak Tree Racing Association at Santa Anita.
The bay son of Memo trained by Paddy Gallagher will stretch out to 1 1/8 miles after finishing fifth, beaten 2 ½ lengths, in the six-furlong Ancient Title (gr. I) on Oct. 8."He won going a mile (by a head) as a 3-year-old," Gallagher said. "I know it's asking a bit going a mile and an eighth but the plan is to get him to relax."
Alex Solis rides McCann's Mojave for the first time.
"I don't know much about him," Solis said. "I just know he's a very nice horse and he loves to win, so those kind of horses are easy to ride. Just get them to settle and they will do the rest."
McCann's Mojave has a 6-2-0 record from 14 starts, with earnings of $405,380 for owners Nikke Hunt and Mike Willman.Probable for the $250,000 Classic presented by Smith Barney: Carano, Garrett Gomez, 115; Cheroot, no rider, 113; Desert Boom, no rider, 122; El Don, no rider, 119; McCann's Mojave, Alex Solis, 118; Mr. Joe C, Martin Pedroza, 114; Texcess, no rider, 116; Thor's Echo, Corey Nakatani, 115; and Deputy Doc Renzi, Pat Valenzuela, 113.
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award