Yankee Master carried meet leading jockey Rafael Bejarano to his fourth win of the afternoon in the $125,000 Woodford Reserve Bourbon Stakes for 2-year-olds Friday at Keeneland.
The son of Yankee Victor took the lead at the top of the stretch and drew away to a five-length victory in the 1 1/16-mile turf race for 2-year-olds. The time on the firm turf was 1:43.85.
"This horse broke really, really good," said Bejarano. "He sat in the perfect position for me, and when I asked him he came home really strong."
Wedding Singer rallied into contention on the outside but had to settle for second, a half length in front of Desert Wheat. It was a half-length back to fourth-place Hyte Regency in the eight-horse field.
Yankee Master, who is owned by Team Power Play Racing and is trained by Linda Rice, paid $5.80, $4.40 and $3 as the 19-10 favorite. He added the Bourbon Stakes to a previous victory in a maiden race at Belmont Park and increased his career earnings to $103,900.
"This horse is extremely professional," said Rice. "From the time he came into my barn, I thought this was going to be a nice horse. He just does everything you ask of him."
Wedding Singer, ridden by Mike Smith, returned $7.60 and $4.80. Desert Wheat, with Corey Lanerie aboard, paid $3.40 to show.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- WV Racing, Breeding Take 10% Revenue Hit
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby