Starview Stable's Sparkling Pink is the only stakes winner among the eight 2-year-old fillies in Sunday's $100,000 Tempted (gr. III) at one mile. In spite of that, trainer John Kimmel thinks the filly may have a difficult task ahead of her.
All three of Spakling Pink's races have come at Monmouth where she went 2-for-3 with a win in the $200,000 Monmouth NATC Futurity. In her maiden win at 5 ½ furlongs, the daughter of Marquetry
was able to rally from off the pace. Going six furlongs in her first stakes engagement, Sparkling Pink was chasing a fast pace from an outside post, yet managed to prevail by a neck.
"Since she's won a $200,000 stakes race she's going to have to carry 121 pounds," trainer John Kimmel said. "That's a lot of weight for a two-year-old trying a mile for the first time when everyone else will be in lighter. We're going to try to take her back and hope she settles and finishes well."
Wonder Lady Anne L has been tested for class after chasing Adieu and Folklore in her last two races, the Astoria and Spinaway (gr. II). She was a well-beaten sixth in the Spinaway, but appears to be training well for Richard Dutrow Jr.
Hobeau Farm's Swap Fliparoo exits two runner-up finishes in stakes races, including the Astarita (gr. III) and the Miss Grillo, which came off the turf last week.
Swap Fliparoo appeared to be in a good spot in the Miss Grillo, but was beaten 6 ½ lengths by Wait a While, 22 ¼ lengths clear of the third-place finisher.$100,000-added Tempted (gr. III), 2-year-old fillies, 1 mile
PP. Horse, Trainer, Jockey, Weight
1. Capote's Crown, Kiaran McLaughlin, Eibar Coa, 115
2. Better Now, Mark Hennig, Javier Castellano, 115
3. Swap Fliparoo, Allen Jerkens, Andrew Lakeman, 115
4. Jinni, Bill Mott, Jerry Bailey, 115
5. Sparkling Pink, John Kimmel, Chris DeCarlo, 121
6. Dance Daily, Wayne Lukas, John Velazquez, 117
7. Wonder Lady Anne L, Rick Dutrow Jr., Edgar Prado, 115
8. Bella Fortuna, Barclay Tagg, Pablo Fragoso, 115