Wilko, upset winner of the 2004 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) who has been out of action since the Triple Crown, breezed three furlongs Friday morning at Hollywood Park in :38 3/5 in his first step toward a return to the races in the Strub series.The age-restricted Strub series begins with the Malibu Stakes (gr. I) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita on Dec. 26.
"He looks good," trainer Craig Dollase said. "It was a nice, easy breeze and he did it the right way. It's nice to have him back."
Wilko had been sidelined some 90 days after having a chip removed from his right ankle. The diminutive colt ran sixth in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and 12th in the Preakness (gr. I), where he bled.
Following the-seven furlong Malibu, the Strub series consists of the San Fernando Breeders' Cup at 1 1/16 miles and the Strub Stakes at 1 1/8 miles, both for 4-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- NH House Rejects Expanded Gaming Bill Again
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses