Serena's Tune, the even-money favorite, kicked clear in the stretch for a 1-3/4 length victory Friday in the $115,100 La Habra Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Santa Anita Park.Ridden by Gary Stevens at 116 pounds, Serena's Tune ran about 6 1/2 furlongs in 1:14.81 on a turf course labeled "good." The winner paid $4, $3.20 and $2.80.A Kentucky-bred daughter by Mr. Prospector out of the champion mare Serena's Song, Serena's Tune has a 3-0-0 record from four starts with earnings of $129,750. Neil Drysdale is the trainer for James and Alice Sapara.Langoreuse, David Flores riding at 116 pounds, finished second at odds of 11-to-1 and paid $7.40 and $5. Innit, Alex Solis aboard at 116 pounds, finished third and returned $4.20. Skywriting, Secret Index, Dynamous, Chaguaramas, Smart Timing, Little Firefly, Lost Appeal and Warren's Whistle completed the order of finish. Sibla, Joke and Miss River Storm were scratched earlier in the day.Stevens, who also rode Serena's Song, said Serena's Tune might be as talented."She's got the identical temperament and a beautiful stride," Stevens said. "She's a little more tactical than her mother was . . .she's got quite a future ahead of her."
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Online Stallion Season Auction Set for Iowa
- NYRA Budget Passes, But Not Without Debate
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet
- Minimum Stakes Purse to Increase at Aqueduct