Kinnaird defied her 69-1 odds and the fact that she had not won a race in two years to post a major shocker in the Prix de l'Opera Casino Barriere d'Enghien (Fr-I).Quickening past long time leader Mona Lisa in the straight, the filly gamely held off the repeated challenges of Mona Lisa and the heavy favorite, Alexander Goldrun. The winning margin was ½-length.Trainer Patrick Haslam had not had a winner on the flat for almost three months. Moments before this group I victory, his stable had a winner over the jumps at Kelso, making for an unusual double. The win capped a lucrative weekend for jockey Kevin Darley, who won the Kingdom of Bahrain Sun Chariot Stakes (Eng-I) at Newmarket on Saturday.Kinnaird, a 4-year-old daughter of Dr. Devious, will retire at the end of the year. Before then, however, her connections are considering the E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-I) or the Premio Lydia Tesio (Ity-I). Mona Lisa will be entered in the Emirates Airline Filly and Mare Turf (gr. I).
Prix du Cadran (Fr-I)
Andre Fabre started the day off on Sunday in a superb way when his 4-year-old colt, Reefscape, took the Prix du Cadran (Fr-I) under a sharp ride by Christophe Soumillon.The son of Linamix burst clear of his rivals halfway up the straight and won the 2½ mile marathon by two lengths. Veteran Alcazar stayed on well, but ended up in a dead heat for second with Ostankino.The 4-year-old is owned by Khalid Abdullah and will be pointed toward the Gold Cup (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot next year.
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Conquest Titan, Vinceremos Loom in Tampa Bay