Saturday's field is the largest in Santa Anita Handicap recent history since 1987 when Broad Brush won.
Bob Baffert, who trains both Wooden Phone and Tribunal, said many owners are probably willing to take a shot at Tiznow because of his recent setbacks.
"People are figuring that if Tiznow doesn't show up, they have a pretty good shot," he said. "If Tiznow doesn't run his race, it is a wide-open field. But Tiznow is still the horse to beat."Baffert said Wooden Phone's training regimen was interrupted by a virus that knocked him out for a week. He doesn't know how the colt will respond but said is willing to take another crack at Tiznow."He really surprised us last time but we are definitely the underdog once again," Baffert said.After nearly a week of rain in Southern California, the forecast calls for sunny skies for Big 'Cap day.
Two horses, Nurdlinger and Moonlight Charger, are coupled in a field bet.From the rail the post positions, with jockeys and morning line odds, are: Perssonet (Brice Blanc) 20-1; Wooden Phone (Cory Nakatani) 5-1; Beat All (Gary Stevens) 12-1; Irisheyesareflying (Kent Desormeaux) 10-1; Tiznow (Chris McCarron) 8-5; Nurdlinger (Jose Valvidia) 30-1; Jimmy Z (Victor Espinoza) 12-1; Guided Tour (Larry Melancon) 6-1; Moonlight Charger (Tyler Baze) 30-1; Tribunal (David Flores) 15-1; Jarrocks (Garret Gomez) 30-1; Lethal Instrument (Laffit Pincay Jr. ) 15-1; Bienamado (Alex Solis) 8-1.
Most Popular Stories
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Nevada Kid Rolls in Claiming Crown Jewel
- Speaking of Which Makes Grade at Calder
- Hedge Skimmer Valiant Girl Shocks My Charmer
- Darysina Tops Opening Day of Arqana Sale
- Csaba Successful in Fred Hooper Defense
- Hong Kong Runners May Have Trouble This Year
- Mucho Macho Man Returns to Gulfstream Tab
- In The Fast Lane Takes Cape Fillies Guineas