Blackdoun hasn't raced since finishing ninth in the Nov. 28 Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) and subsequent surgery to remove chips from a knee. He's been back in training for a "few weeks," Canani said, and won't be pushed to make a start before the end of the year.
"It's good to have him back," Canani said. "He had surgery for some chips, but he's doing good now. He had his first work (three furlongs in :36 3/5 over a firm Santa Anita turf on Sept. 21)."
Over the summer of 2004, Blackdoun became the third horse in history to sweep Del Mar's three turf stakes for 3-year-olds – the Oceanside Stakes, La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT), and Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT). He finished the year with two off-the-board finishes in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) and Hollywood Derby.
"He'll tell me when he's ready to race," Canani said. "I don't want to rush him."
From a record of 16-6-4-2 Blackdoun has earned $477,765.
Most Popular Stories
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- New Standards May Be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita